Saturday 28 March 2015

CHIA PUMPKIN & SUNFLOWERSEEDS SPRING MUFFINS


I am celebrating a little springtime holiday. One of my favourite things to do when I'm home alone is to browse through all my cookbooks searching for something delicious to make to surprise my lover. Sometimes I tend to overplay my hand with meals way too healthy and veggie for his liking. With muffins like these I make amends and simultaniously pave the way for a new week full with healthy experiments. Indeed you're right: I clearly have got a hidden agenda with these muffins. Nevertheless they taste heavenly. So even if you don't need to satisfy your spouse you can still make these seasonal Springmuffins to satisfy yourself.





The recipe for these Chia Pumpkin & Sunflowerseeds Spring Muffins is completely vegan but you can easily replace some ingredients to make the recipe more suitable to your supplies. See the recipe below for possible replacements. I added the pumpkin- and sunflowerseeds to the batter but feel free to hold a few tablespoons behind to sprinkle on top of the muffins right before they go into the oven.


I really love the savory taste of these muffins with the occasional sweet cranberry. If you're more of a sweet tooth you can sweeten them by adding a couple of tablespoons of maplesyrup to the batter. For a more festive presentation you can drizzle the muffins with syrup after baking.




Chia Pumpkin & Sunflowerseeds Spring Muffins
Makes 12

Ingredients:
50 gr rolled oats
125 ml coconutmilk (or dairy milk of your choice)
75 gr soaked dates
75 gr spelt flour (or other whole grain flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp chiaseeds soaked in 3 tbsp water (or 1 egg)
65 ml melted coconut oil (or butter)
50 gr pumpkin seeds
50 gr sunflowerseeds
Optional: couple of tablespoons maple syrup

1. Preheat the oven on 200 degrees Celcius. Combine chia seeds with water in een small bowl and set aside. Line a muffin pan with liners.

2. Cut dates in small pieces.

3. In a large bowl mix the oats, flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir well. Combine with milk, dates, oil and chiaseeds untill you become a consistent batter. Add pumpkin and sunflowerseeds. Stir well.

4. Spoon the batter into the liners in the muffin pan (and sprinkle with some seeds). Bake for about 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then place them on a rack to cool completely.

I hope you like them as much as I do. They just came out of the oven and I already ate two of them. I've now put them out of sight or they would all be eaten long before my lover comes home and that would mean a mission failed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment